Nautical Office Decor

I was assigned to become office decorator for my Dad.
I wanted a nautical theme, so I gathered my supplies and went to work. Nothing had to be bought, except for the rope. 
 
Here are projects from my trunk to yours:
 
Of course, where would life be without pictures?
I strung some strong jewelry wire and printed out various black-and-white pictures of our family and beach scenes. They are attached to the wire with binder clips-a popular pinterest idea of today.
 

 
He had limited space, so I used whatever shelf and wall space I could find.




Using a small vase, I filled it with sand and shells, wrapping a ribbon around the neck. I scattered shells and used rope around the decor.

Behind the vase is a sign, I made that by painting a simple beach scene using 3 or 4 colors onto a scrap of wood.

 
The green bottle we had owned and washed.
 
I hand-drew an anchor on a French book page and framed it, gluing seashells around it.

 
These were simple to make. Using very cheap (I mean cheap, like a nickel each at a thrift store cheap) cardboard frames and decorated them all differently.  
 
The first was made simple by (carefully!) hot gluing seashells in a random pattern on a piece of paper and taping it inside the frame. I made the shells all match the decor by hand painting EACH ONE OF THEM. Now that took forever, but it looks nice.
 
The second one in the picture was just a picture I colored with pencils.

 
 I typed a KJV Bible verse and added a ship's wheel icon to the bottom of the page.

The other frame holds another picture I colored with pencils.

*Also, you can change the frame colors by adding different layers of spray paint. Like I did for these two.

 
These 3 penciled-colored pictures were not taped in frames, but taped onto colored construction paper, giving it the illusion of a frame hanging on the wall.
 
That fern adds a nice touch. :)
 
 
 
His pen jar was very boring, especially for something that was used often. I laid rope and shells inside, and made a jar necklace for him with a compass charm attached.
 
The vase can be made simply by adding a piece of tape around the base and wrapping the rope up. If you can, squeeze a shell in between the ropes. Add matching fake flowers.
 

Along the windowsill, I added nautical knickknacks and shells.

 
And the classic message in a bottle. Just a recycled glass bottle and sand at the bottom. A handful of shells and the remaining rope coiled around. A tea-stained piece of paper rolled into a tube makes for the message.

 
And that's all! It was mostly a matter of replacing old things with new matching decor.
 
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and enjoy the rest of the summer.
Craft on!


 

Comments

Popular Posts