How I De-Stress

As I started getting older, I would make jokes in conversations about how stressed I was, and I would get responses like "I don't know what stress really is because I haven't experienced the 'real world'." or "I don't have any real adult responsibilities yet because I'm only in my 20s, unmarried and with no kids." That is true to some extent. I understand that Mom and Wife positions come with their own stress levels.


I still have a pretty busy life throughout the week. Today I want to share with you some of the things I practice to keep my head on an even level and how I deal with my stress each and every day. 

Right now, I am going through a long distance relationship, and I have to schedule myself around the times we spontaneously want to call, Facetime, or text. An LDR has its own special kind of stress, since the one person I care about the most is never near me. And the only time I see him is on a phone. Never in person.



I also work 10 hours a day at a machine shop, so that leaves me feeling drained when I come home. Sometimes I make meals and desserts at home for my Mom, and I have just volunteered to give my youngest brother some piano lessons when his school starts!

I also adopted a puppy! He is my very first dog, and potty-training him has been quite an adventure! I have a puppy sitter while I'm at work, but chasing Ajax around when I come home is another reason why I face-plant onto my bed at bedtime. He is a hyper and friendly Boxer!



I have my best friend's and sister's weddings, bridal showers and graduations to attend on weekends, along with other family outings.
On the weekdays after work is over, I have other commitments I'm trying to keep up with- like planning my meal plans, working out, going to church services and activities, keeping my room cleaned and organized, caring for my plants, washing my laundry, sorting out my weekly budget and paying bills... Not even mentioning self-care! We all know how much upkeep women need for our teeth, hair and faces, and how important it is to stay healthy and hydrated!



Little things that fill up my day starts to wear me down and stress me out, letting me fall behind! Everyone has their own kind of stress to deal with, and I want to share my list of things I do to relieve some of the stress and tension. 



- Singing or playing the piano (I either learn a new song- which distracts me from everything else, or make up melodies to get lost in.)

-Go for a walk (Sometimes my mind likes to think about all the things I should be doing instead, but eventually if I walk by a scenic place, I reflect.)

-Pouring some coffee and reading verses in the Bible (one of the best ways I de-stress!)

-Putting on easy-listening music, and drawing or painting. (This is one of the most effective for me- I literally have to make time to do this, but it is worth the time.)




-Expressing my thoughts and feelings in my journal (Letting out my frustrations and anxieties on a blank page is helpful.)

-Stretches/yoga (I don't really focus too much about meditating to find my "inner self," but it is relaxing to take deep breaths and try different stretches and positions.)

-Go for a drive (I love taking the back roads to get some coffee or icecream.)

-Minimalize your space (Some people feel that organizing is MORE stressful for them, but for me, an emptier space or rearranged dresser or bed resets everything.)

-Bake (One of my favorite de-stressors! Everyone in my house knows when I've been feeling stressed because they have 3 or 4 desserts to choose from after dinner!)

-Workout (Yes, working out. I've recently found that this has helped me strengthen my mind and body, especially during this long distance relationship journey.)

-Take a break on budgets, routines, and errands. (If you really can't take a day off work, take a day off AFTER work! Put your "to do list" aside for the next day and find something else to do!

 

-Do something simple (Lighting candles, picking wildflowers for your dining room table, read a book at the park, watch a movie in pajamas for the rest of the day, the list could go on!)


-Unplug. (Seriously, Pinterest makes me want things I don't have, Facebook makes my mind spin of how the world has become, and Instagram makes me wish I had a picture perfect life. You don't need all those crazy thoughts added to your day. Unplug.)

-Treat yourself. (Find a face mask you can make from the kitchen and soak in the tub with a bath bomb, or exfoliate your skin with something  that smells good. Pamper yourself.)


That's my list. There are SO many different things we all do to relax and unwind. Try some of these and I guarantee you'll feel fresher and more ready to face your stressors head-on the next day! Sometimes, we all just need to step away for a few minutes and find a way to stop and rest. 


Thanks for reading! I really hope this was a help to y'all!

P.S. I was *shocked* to see that 145 people had viewed my blog yesterday! Thanks for checking out my page!

Comments

Popular Posts